Since Windows 10 1909, it is no longer possible to create a local account when installing Windows 10. Indeed, Microsoft now requires the creation and use of a Microsoft account to log in to Windows 10.
Fortunately, solutions exist to get around this limitation!
In this tutorial we will see how to create a local account instead of a Microsoft account when installing Windows 10.
Preamble: local account vs. Microsoft account
Windows 10 supports two types user account:
- an account local, which is not connected to any Microsoft online service.
- an account Microsoft, which is connected to many Microsoft services such as Office 365, OneDrive and provides extended functionalities such as synchronization of settings, downloading of applications through the Microsoft Store …
If you are committed to respecting your privacy, a local user account is preferable. Indeed, by using a Microsoft account, a good amount of your personal data is collected by Microsoft.
Turn off telemetry and tracking on Windows 10
Before Windows 10 1909, it was possible to create a local account when installing Windows 10. An option « Offline account » allowed the use of a local account rather than a Microsoft account:
Unfortunately, since Windows 10 1909, this option is masked, making the creation of a local account impossible :
Only theFamily edition Windows 10 is affected by this change: it no longer has the option « Offline account » to create a local account.
On the other editions (Professional, Company…), it is always possible to create a local account.
To work around this limitation, there are many solutions :
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet. To do this, unplug the Ethernet cable or do not enter the security key of your Wi-Fi connection when Windows 10 asks you to do so.
- Enter an incorrect phone number several times. The Windows 10 installer will automatically switch to creating a local account.
- Create a local account AFTER installing Windows 10 then delete the Microsoft account.
- Temporarily deactivate the network connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) on which the Internet access is located. In the absence of an Internet connection, Windows 10 will then offer you to create a local account. It is this solution that I offer you here! 👍
(thanks for the pinch )
Create a local account when installing Windows 10
- Run the Windows 10 installation until you get toconfiguration screen. You can achieve this by:
- Continue to the screen Sign in with Microsoft. As you can see, there is no longer the option “Offline account”.
- Open a Command Prompt by pressing the keys ⇧ Maj + F10.
- Open the « Network Connections » window by entering the command control netconnections then Enter.
- Disable Internet access by right-clicking on your network connection> Deactivate.
Internet access is now disabled.
- Return to the « Microsoft Account » window by pressing the keys Alt + Tab ↹.
- Click on the button following.
- The message « An error has occurred (OOBEIDPS) » is displayed. Click on Try again or Ignore.
- There you are, you are now on the screen that allows you to create a local account!
- Before continuing, reactivate Internet access: do Alt + Tab ↹ to return to the “Network connections” window then reactivate the network connection.
- Close the “Network Connections” window.
- You can now create your local account and continue installing Windows 10. 👍
✓ Congratulations! You have successfully created a local user account when installing Windows 10 1909 or later. 👍
(thanks for the pinch )