Open PS2 Loader (OPL) is an application that allows you to read PS2 game backups from the internal hard drive, from a USB storage device (USB key, external hard drive) or from a shared folder on the network via the SMB protocol.
In this tutorial we will see how install and configure OPL on a PlayStation 2 then how to play a PS2 game in ISO format from a hard drive, USB stick or network.
Install and configure Open PS2 Loader (OPL)
In this part we will install OPL on a PS2 memory card then we will add OPL in the menu of FreeMCBoot.
Here’s how to do it:
✓ Step 1 completed: you have installed Open PS2 Loader on your PS2 memory card. 👍
Now that OPL is installed on a PS2 memory card, it is necessary to configure it correctly in order to be able to launch its PS2 games.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch OPL from the main FMCB screen.
- You arrive directly on the OPL menu.
- Select Settings then configure as follows:
- USB Device Start Mode : if your PS2 games are on a USB stick, put Auto if not Off.
- HDD Device Start Mode : if your PS2 games are on the internal hard drive of the console, put Auto if not Off.
- ETH Device Start Mode : if your PS2 games are on a shared folder on the network, put Auto if not Off.
- Default Menu : select the menu to display when OPL starts up. For convenience, select the one where your PS2 games are located (eg HDD_Games if your PS2 games are on the internal hard drive).
- Return to the menu and select Save Changes to save the changes.
✓ Step 2 completed: you have correctly configured Open PS2 Loader. 👍
Play a PS2 game with OPL
To play a PS2 game in ISO format with OPL, it’s very simple:
- Start OPL.
- Go to the page where your PS2 games are located (internal hard drive, USB stick or shared folder on the network).
- Push the button △ on your controller to access the game menu, then select Game Settings.
- Check the necessary compatibility modes (see here the modes to select according to the PS2 game).
For example, for the game Final Fantasy X, you must select modes 2 and 6.
- Select Save Changes to save the changes.
- Select the ps2 game to launch it.
✓ Congratulations! You have successfully launched a backup (ISO) of a PS2 game with Open PS2 Loader. 👍
Add Cover Arts (cover, record)
To add Cover Arts (cover art, disc) to your PS2 games, follow these instructions:
- Download the archive of OPL Manager then unzip it on your PC.
- Run OPL_Manager.exe.
- At startup, choose the language, activate the automatic search for updates and then select the following options:
- If your games are on a USB stick: Normal (iso + ul.cfg)
- If your games are on the internal hard drive and it is connected to your PS2 via the Sony network adapter: Network (hdlserver + FTP)
- If your games are on the internal hard drive and it is connected to your PC via an IDE / SATA to USB adapter: Local PS2 HDD
- Click on Save.
- If OPL Manager displays the message “X bad named ISO’s! Showing Bad ISO tab! « is that some ISOs are misnamed, which may prevent OPL from reading them correctly. Go to the tab Bad ISO’s and for each misnamed PS2 game, click the button Get title from DB then on Try update file name and finally on Yes.
- To download and install Cover Arts for all your PS2 games, click Batch Actions > ART Download.
- Click on the button Start to download and copy Cover Arts to your device (USB key or hard drive).
- There you go, the Cover Arts have been downloaded and copied! In the column Cover and Disc, you should have the mention Yes.
- On your PS2, launch OPL: the covers of your PS2 games are displayed.
✓ Congratulations! You have downloaded and copied the Cover Arts for your PS2 games using OPL Manager. 👍